By Steven Wyson
Virgil Van Dijk insists he is “not even discussing anything at the moment” regarding negotiations over a contract extension at Liverpool.
The Reds defender, whose current deal still runs until 2023, has reportedly agreed terms on a new six-year deal with the club.The Reds defender opened up to Sky Sports News reporter Bryan Swanson immediately after Tuesday night’s 2-0 defeat away to Napoli.Van Dijk is the clear favourite to win the 2019 Ballon d’Or after leading Liverpool to Champions League glory.
“There is nothing going on, so that’s it,” he told Sky Sports News chief reporter Bryan Swanson in Naples.
When he asked again about whether he wanted to hold talks about an extension, Van Dijk added: “That’s not on me. I saw some reports in the media that I was agreeing a new deal and stuff”, he said.
“But I’m not even discussing anything at the moment. The only thing I want to do right now is focus on the games and we’ll see in the future what may happen.” Van Dijk said.
Van Dijk has been at the heart of Liverpool’s ascent under Jurgen Klopp, playing a leading role in the club’s path to Champions League glory last season and their emergence as Manchester City’s main rivals for Premier League dominance.
Liverpool have made a perfect start to their domestic campaign by winning their first five Premier League games, but they face their biggest challenge so far when they travel to Stamford Bridge to face Frank Lampard’s Chelsea on Sunday.
On the back of reports earlier in September that he had agreed a new bumper deal at Anfield, the 28-year-old, who moved to Anfield from Southampton for £75m in January 2018, was asked if he wanted to hold talks about a contract extension and he said that there is nothing going on, so that’s it.