Following the fracas that marred TNM Super League match involving Red Lions and Surestream FC at Kamuzu Stadium on Sunday, Super League of Malawi (SULOM) has charged Red Lions of misconduct after the game.
The violence erupted after the finals whistle when Red Lions players manhandled the referee Boniface Chipinga accusing him of favouring new comers in the League.
In a statement issued on Tuesday by SULOM, Red Lions FC, players and officials were in breach of conduct, rules and regulations of SULOM as stipulated in article of the Solum Constitution, rules and regulations and also that of FIFA disciplinary code on the following charges.
1. Red Lions F.C failed to control the actions of its players, officials and supporters who assaulted the officiating personnel and the general public as stipulated in Article 21.3 Rules and Regulations of the TNM Super League.
2. Its players behaved in a manner which brought SULOM and its sponsor TNM in disrepute as stipulated in Article 13.1.6 of the SULOM constitution.
3. The fracas made by its players’ breached peace of the general public thereby contravening Article 13.2.2 of SULOM Constitution as read with Article 21.19 of SULOM rules and regulations.
In the same game the following Red Lions FC players were in breach of the Rules and Regulations of SULOM (Article 21.6) and the FIFA Disciplinary Code (Article 49.1.b) by assaulting the match officials in particular the referee Boniface Chapinga.
1. Jersey number 2 Dickson Mbetewa Jnr
2. Jersey number 10 Lot Chawinga
3. Jersey number 14 Boniface Kaulesi
4. Jersey number 3 William Chiumya
5. Jersey number 22 Mathews Simbeye
6. Jersey number 6 George Haule
7. Jersey number 16 Thomas Makaombwa
8. Jersey number 11 Sunganani Msiska
Red Lions Team Doctor Gibson Langwe was also involved in assaulting the officiating personnel.
SULOM has since given Red Lions 48 hours to respond to the charges.