MALAWI HAMMERED 2-1 BY ZIMBABWE IN 2017 AFCON QUALIFIES – – Football, Netball, Basketball, Hockey,Tennis and sports in Malawi


Share Button

Malawi national team the flames have went down to Zimbabwe 2-1in 2017 African Cup of Nation (AFCON) qualifying campaign in a match played at soccer maker Kamuzu Stadium on Saturday.

Despite have difficulties in travelling to Malawi arriving 13 hours before the game, the warriors of Zimbabwe started the game on high note pressing the flames from left and right.

Malawi defence comprising of Harry Nyirenda, Limbikani Mzava, Francis Mlimbika and John Lanjesi called on duty time and again as Zimbabwe was coming wave after wave. No wonder the warriors played two corners in a space of three minutes.

Flames lacked coordination both from the defence and in the midfield where Chimango kayira, Captain Josepth Kamwendo, Christopher John Banda and Micium Mhone were operating. This gave the visitors chance on the midfield to take full control of the game puling pressure to flames defence.

The hunger for goals by the warriors paid off in in the 23rd as flames defender Harry Nyirenda made a blunder by giving a ball cheaply to Malajla to score the first goal.

As Zimbabwe was celebrating for a goal flames equalized through Christopher John Banda after receiving a good ball from Blue Eagles mid fielder Micium Mhone.

The goal ignited fire in flames player as they were coming wave after wave, forcing Zimbabwe to be chasing for shadows. Although this was the case Zimbabwe managed to contain the pressure and the first half ended in 1-1.

Come second half, flames started the game on a slow pace with Zimbabwe looking hungrier than Malawi.

Flames striking force looked not that promising as the combination of Zicco Mkanda and Atusaye Nyondo proved fruitless.

Young Chimodzi pulled out Francis Mlimbika for Lucky Malata and Mkanda for Esau Kanyenda but the changes did not make any difference as Zimbabwe was coming wave after wave.

As everyone was thinking that the game will end in draw Zimbabwe increased the lead 85th minute through Khama Biliyati after flames goalkeeper MacDonald Hara failed to clear the ball.

Flames tried its level best to press for an equalizer but Zimbabwe proved strong for flames and the game ended 2-1 in favour of the warriors.

Meanwhile Flames will now face the much improving Swaziland in group L.

Share Button

Leave a Comment