Burly striker Muhamad Sulumba has finally completed his transfer from Blantyre United to Big Bullets after signing a three-year contract, ending hopes of his return to Be Forward Wanderers.
Sulumba, who is expected to be unveiled today in Blantyre, Wednesday confirmed to have completed his transfer as a free agent, but reserved further comments. Sulumba played for Wanderers while on loan last season.
United technical director, Lawson Nakoma, Wednesday confirmed to have allowed Sulumba to join Bullets without strings attached as his contract expires on April 20.
“Previously, our colleagues were not transacting openly, but we told them that there was nothing to hide, and we had a round-table discussion. We could have acted differently, but we thought we should show that we respect contracts,” Nakoma said.
Players into the last six months of a contract are allowed to sign pre-contracts with other teams as Sulumba did.
However, United last week threatened to sell the player to Wanderers after learning that he had signed the Bullets’ pre-contract without Nakoma’s consent.
Wanderers’ board of trustees’ chairperson, Rashid Gaffar, over the weekend insisted that the Nomads would still chase Sulumba’s signature.
Super League of Malawi (Sulom) general secretary, Williams Banda, yesterday said they were yet to receive a clearance from United to confirm Sulumba’s transfer.
Meanwhile, Bullets and Wanderers risk the wrath of Football Association of Malawi (Fam) as the domestic football giants are being investigated for suspected player-tapping during the current transfer window.
According to Fam transfer matching system manager, Casper Jangale, Bullets were charged for giving pre-contracts to John Lanjesi and Emmanuel Zoya, who have more than six months remaining on their contracts with Civo United.
“This is contrary to the rules because a player can only sign a pre-contract with another club if he has less than six months remaining on his contract,” he said, adding that Bullets were also charged for misconduct after unveiling Sulumba before the two clubs finalised a deal.
“There was no problem in Sulumba signing a pre-contract with Bullets, but the problem was the club unveiling the player. There were complaints against Bullets’ actions, therefore, we are looking into the matter,” he said.
Bullets have also accused Wanderers of approaching Chiukepo Msowoya without the club’s consent, a move tantamount to player-tapping.
He said investigations would be concluded by next week and the clubs would be summoned for a hearing. The guilty team risks K500,000 fine